The Town of Panton Zoning Regulations govern what types of structure and uses are allowed in Panton.

Wastewater permits (septic systems) are regulated by the State of Vermont Agency of Natural Resources Department of Environmental Conservation.

Tree maintenance/removal and earthworks (landscaping) on property along the shore of Lake Champlain, Otter Creek and Dead Creek may also require a state permit. 

Effective July 1, 2014, the Vermont Legislature passed the Shoreland Protection Act (Chapter 49A of Title 10, §1441 et seq.), which regulates shoreland development within 250 feet of a lake’s mean water level for all lakes greater than 10 acres in size. The intent of the Act is to prevent degradation of water quality in lakes, preserve habitat and natural stability of shorelines, and maintain the economic benefits of lakes and their shorelands. The Act seeks to balance good shoreland management and shoreland development.

Any new development, redevelopment, or clearing within 250 feet from mean water level  may require a permit or registration. A helpful summary of the Shoreland Protection Act describes the types of activities that are jurisdictional to the Shoreland Protection Act and the standards of the  Act. If a shoreland owner proposes a jurisdictional activity, such as tree removal or an expansion of an existing structure, and the standards of the Act cannot be met, the shoreland owner will be required to implement best management practices.


The following uses must conform to zoning regulations for the zoning district within which they are located but do not require a permit:

  • Utility plants and transmission facilities
  • Farm structures, accepted agricultural and silvicultural practices. (Farm dwellings do require a permit.)
  • Fences, hedges or wall less than eight (8) feet in height that do no interfere with corner visibility
  • Terraces, decks, steps, or play structures which are not covered overhead
  • Doghouses, sheds, treehouses, or play structures having less than s64 square feet of floor area and less than eight (8) feet tall. (These structures must be at least 10 feet off the property lines and outside of all rights of way.)

All other structures require a permit. Click here for zoning requirements for structures.


A permit is required for the following uses: 

  • Home Occupations (business venture run out of a residence where the business is clearly secondary to residential use)
  • Conditional Use
  • Park or recreation uses operated on a non-profit basis
  • Agricultural sales and service facility
  • Campground
  • Community facility
  • Public utility building and facilities
  • Residential health care facility
  • Planned Unit Development
  • Daycare (>6 fulltime and 4 part-time)
  • Gasoline and motor vehicle service stations
  • Public outdoor recreation
  • Private club
  • Enclosed accessory use
  • Multifamily Dwellings
  • Other uses with impacts similar to those noted above that do not significantly change the character of the area as envisioned in the Panton Town Plan.


Anyone wishing to install a sign that does not conform to the descriptions in Article VII of the Zoning Regulations must apply for a permit.